In small doses, carbon monoxide is a normal part of the Earth’s regular ecosystem. In large quantities, however, it is a deadly, nearly undetectable killer.
The gas, which consists of one carbon atom and one oxygen atom per molecule, is tasteless, odorless, and totally colorless. Without the proper technology, it’s almost entirely invisible to the human senses. When introduced into a person’s bloodstream, it blocks red blood cells from delivering oxygen to the body. Carbon monoxide poisoning can lead to nausea, dizziness, fainting, and death.
To protect yourself and your loved ones from potential carbon monoxide poisoning, consider these tips.